for as long as i can remember we have been hanging wreaths on our windows for christmas.
the style of our house really screams, "wreaths on the windows!"
i'm not sure how other people get their wreaths to stay up there on the windows. suction cups? nails? command strip hooks?
this is my no ladder, no tools, no gadgets method.
the first thing i do is fluff the wreaths.
nobody likes a smashed up mashed down window wreath.
after fluffing, i separate the branches and make a spot for the ribbon to nestle into.
then i buy some pretty red outdoor ribbon like this:
measure how long i need the ribbon to be (depends on the size of your windows and where you want the wreaths to hit.)
and tie the ribbon around the wreath.
i make a loose knot like this:
to hang the wreaths like this i have to remove our window screens. (we never leave them in anyway. we can't really open the windows here much due to allergies, weather, construction dust, etc. plus it's so much nicer to look out a window that doesn't have a screen. try it. you'll like it.)
hopefully you have windows that tilt open like this:
so that you can open the window, and do this:
then i close and lock (always remember to lock!) the windows like this:
the knot keeps the wreath from sliding down or falling out completely. also, a loose knot will allow you to adjust the length of the ribbon. i use the window panes as a guide so that all my wreaths are hung at the same height.
i just love how the
wreaths are actually "hanging" from something instead of just stuck on.
but i will take a wreath on a window pretty much any way!
i think it would be really pretty to hang the wreaths all the way at the
tops of the windows. if the tops of your windows tilt in for cleaning you could do
this.
i put candles in the windows too, so i hang my wreaths high enough to allow the candles to be seen from the outside.
isn't holiday decorating fun? i wish i could leave these wreaths up all year!
xoxo,
elisabeth
ps. this year i bought a couple of extra wreaths and candles and put them on the sides of our house as well as the front. i am SOOO glad i did this! it really completes the look. i just love it when people decorate the whole house and not just the front. it's so pretty. most craft stores have great deals going on right now. i think my extra wreaths were only $2.99 each!
I haven't graduated to putting wreaths on the outside of my home. Gosh I want to though!! Love the way you did that! SO PRETTY! :o)
ReplyDeleteWhat a brilliant tip! Man, you're good. I was actually just thinking about how on earth I was going to hang mine (first year doing it), and *now* I know. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea! I LOVE how they look on your house! I'm your newest follower from the too much time on my hands party. If you get a chance, I'd love you to stop by my blog & maybe follow along too!
ReplyDeleteSally
loveofhomes.blogspot.com
Thanks for the tip! I still haven't hung mine... maybe tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteSaw you at Too much time on my hands.
Kim
www.todayismysome-day.blogspot.com