i am so in love with old school desks. aren't you?
here is my vintage school desk before and after:
i loved the idea of an old school desk in the playroom.
i found this one at an antique store in ohio for around $70. not a steal but a fair price, i think.
here it is again:
so, it was a bit beat up in the original condition. i felt like it needed a nice clean start.
enter rustoleum red spray paint.
and there we have it. red.
the wood on the chairs was splitting a bit. i was worried about little bare legs sliding on and off and the risk of splinters. so i decided to cover the wood. this will protect it from further damage as well.
i started with white canvas.
.
.
.
.
.
.
traced.
and traced.
added seam allowance.
cut two.
cut the chevron fabric.
pinned.
made piping.
.
.
.
.
.
.
sewed piping.
.
.
.
.
.
.
cut ruffles.
.
.
.
.
.
.
pinned ruffles.
stitched.
added ribbon.
and voila!
it's been a few months and this little set up has held up quite well! i stitched a little velcro around the legs under the seat cover. that helps keep the seat covers in place while those little legs are scooting on and off.
to see the rest of the playroom, go here.
one more thing....RUSTOLEUM ROCKS!
xoxo,
elisabeth













I LOVE it! Well worth the $70! I also LOVE that chevron fabric....so CUTE! Sometime I would love to read a tutorial on making the piping. I have a cushion I need to recover, but I'm scared to tackle it b/c of the piping, cutting on the bias????, and all of that! Looks GREAT Elisabeth! L and E are two lucky little girls!
ReplyDeleteWOW!!! Love this!! I have an old school desk... the kind where the chair is attached to the desk.. it's just sitting in my Nanny's barn. I think I need to drag it out now! :o)
ReplyDeleteOh, wow. I'm obsessed with this desk and chairs. What a great find! And I love what you did to make it over. Those cushions and slipcovers are so darling, and they look really well made. A+++++ ;)
ReplyDeleteTHIS IS SOOOOO CUTE!!!!
ReplyDeletei love all of it!
amazing.
:)
I love, love, love what you did with this desk and chair combo. I'm loving the colors and the fabric is super cute and chic. I even liked the tutorial. You've inspired me very, very much. Keep up the great inspirational work, you go girl!
ReplyDeleteDarling! Love the little slips on the chairs and the bright red paint, what a fun vintage piece!
ReplyDeleteVisiting from MMS and now following
Cathy @ Room Rx